ESSEN - SPIEL 2013: anybody going?

Her informeres om og diskuteres diverse Con'er, messer og lignende.
tomojacobson
25+ indlæg
25+ indlæg
Favoritspil: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/use ... game&ff=1/

ESSEN - SPIEL 2013: anybody going?

Post by tomojacobson »

hi fellow geeks :)

i've decided to go to Spiel 2013 this year and was wondering if anybody from the Danish folk is coming?
i guess yes, it would be great to connect and talk about it! i'm all exited!!!
i haven't decided about how to travel there yet and i was also wondering if maybe somebody is taking a car? because maybe this somebody is willing to offer me a place? :) it's always nicer together, isn't it? i'm open for suggestions. it would be fantastic!
anyway, write here if you are going and lets talk about it!

all the best,
tomo
Rune Petersen
500+ indlæg
500+ indlæg

Re: ESSEN - SPIEL 2013: anybody going?

Post by Rune Petersen »

Hi Tomo,

I'm going to Essen along with an old friend of mine but unfortunately I can't offer you transportation as we're driving from Jutland and going by van (we plan to buy one of EVERYTHING! Haha).

There are several other forum users going but I can't speak for them and to be honest I haven't been keeping up. The idea of having a German Games meetup sounds great but I have no idea if one will be arranged.
tomojacobson
25+ indlæg
25+ indlæg

Post by tomojacobson »

Hey Rune!
thanks for the reply.
the meet up SHALL BE arranged! because why not? :) you go for the whole convention?
Rune Petersen
500+ indlæg
500+ indlæg

Post by Rune Petersen »

Yes, we're arriving Wednesday and leave on Monday. Last year we only had time for a mad 2 day shopping spree but this year we're going for the full experience. Like actually trying to sit down and play games before throwing cash at the vendors...
netsapiens
1000+ indlæg
1000+ indlæg

Post by netsapiens »

I'm going too. Also arriving late wednesday, and leaving again some time sunday.
I AM driving, however, I already have two cohorts, and I am not sure there's room for a third. Who knows how many games these people will bring home
Sjov > regler .... HVER gang
Formel for behov for brætspilsindkøb = N + 1, hvor N = antal uåbnede brætspil i samling
Jens_Hoppe
2500+ indlæg
2500+ indlæg

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Thursday - Saturday, going by plane. :)
What are you, like 80?
Senest købt: Prey Another Day, MLEM: Space Agency
tomojacobson
25+ indlæg
25+ indlæg

Post by tomojacobson »

cool people!
but are the games there actually cheaper or you guys are just all about new stuff?
Mik
2500+ indlæg
2500+ indlæg
Favoritspil: I alfabetisk orden: Across the Board - Age of Steam - Agricola - Ave Caesar - Carcassonne - Crokinole - Dominion - Echelon - Funkenschlag - Hare & Tortoise - Memoir '44 - Motorsportspillet - Robo Rally - Tales of the Arabian Nights

Post by Mik »

Generally games are not cheaper. It is hard to compete with online retailers who are selling their stuff with next to no profit, and it is very expensive to have a stand at the fair.

I will make my 17th trip in a row, and I go partly to discover all the new games and partly to talk with great friends from all across the world. Even if the event went for 10 days, I still wouldn't have time enough to spend time with them all, so it is a pain to decide which hotel to go to in the evening and with whom to play.
Rune Petersen
500+ indlæg
500+ indlæg

Post by Rune Petersen »

tomojacobson wrote:but are the games there actually cheaper or you guys are just all about new stuff?
It depends. You can get very decent prices on a lot of things. Just don't expect outrageous savings on the newest releases. German versions will often be cheap and older titles can be found at very deep discounts. It's a great place for bargain hunting, but don't expect to find a sealed Terra Mystica for 10 euros or anything like that.

Some of the publishers will offer package deals on new titles but I found the discount to be virtually non-existent in some cases (looking at you, Clever Mojo Games :|).

There are also several huge used game stands. The ones I looked at mostly carried German language titles.

In fact, you sometimes need to be vigilant if you're looking for English language titles. I had preordered Eclipse: Rise of the Ancients last year and was handed the German version even though my preorder sheet specified the English language version. That is not to say there aren't a LOT of English versions available for most games, but you have to be aware that this is not always the case. Fantasy Flight Games are sold through their German distributor and I didn't see a single English version of any FFG title while I was there.

For an idea about prices you can check out the discussion in this geeklist: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/14857 ... r-and-empt. My friend created it after our trip to Essen last year.
Jens_Hoppe
2500+ indlæg
2500+ indlæg

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

tomojacobson wrote:cool people!
but are the games there actually cheaper or you guys are just all about new stuff?
Well, "new stuff" is certainly an attraction, although most major releases will be available from online retailers (probably at better prices) shortly after the fair. Then again, for some of the very limited releases, you just have to be there if you want it. Still, if you want to get the best of the new games, and at competitive prices, you are probably better off waiting a few weeks and getting them online.

Getting cheap games is not a priority at all: Obviously, if you factor in the cost of the trip itself, any money saved on sales and whatnot at the fair amount to almost nothing.

Personally, I see the trip as a sort of short holiday with a boardgame theme! Wandering around the halls looking at all the activity going on is fascinating. Finding hidden "treasures", speaking with designers, going to restaurants with your mates, playing new games, all that. It's not an experience I need to repeat every year, but it is fun. :)
What are you, like 80?
Senest købt: Prey Another Day, MLEM: Space Agency